Make this Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe for dinner this week.
Just dump in the ingredients in the morning and you’ll be ready for a fabulous family meal at night!
One of my all-time favorite Asian dishes is sweet and sour chicken.
I just love how the two flavors come together, complimenting each other perfectly. I’m salivating just thinking about this dish. I can’t help it!
Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup of tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce – if you do not have this simply use ½ teaspoon of brown sugar instead
- 3 tablespoons of honey (can also use brown sugar)
- 1-tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- sea salt to taste (optional)
- 1-cup pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 tablespoons of cool water
- 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch
Step 1: Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick coating spray.
Step 2: Place chicken inside the slow cooker.
Step 3: In a medium bowl whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, honey, vinegar, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and black pepper.
Step 4: Pour sauce over chicken and push chicken down making sure chicken is covered with sauce.
Step 5: Cover slow cooker with lid and cook chicken on low heat for 5-7 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
Step 6: Tear or shred chicken apart with two forks into chunks if you are using whole chicken breasts.
Step 7: In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
Step 8: Pour in to slow cooker and whisk gently with chicken mixture.
Step 9: Gently fold in pineapple chunks and bell pepper.
Step 10: Cook mixture on high for an additional 20 minutes until sauce thickens and the pineapples and bell peppers are slightly tender.
Step 11: Season to taste with salt. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
Step 12: Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
Enjoy this crock pot sweet and sour chicken recipe with your family! It’s the perfect sit-down dinner.
For more fabulous crock pot recipes, consider the following affiliate links:
Shipping is FREE with Amazon Prime or $35+ orders. Sign up for a FREE 30-Day Amazon Prime Trial HERE. Along with FREE shipping you will get access to thousands of movies, tv shows, books and music for FREE!
If you’re in need a slow cooker or looking for a new one, consider the following affiliate links:
Find more delicious family dinner recipes on Mommy Evolution!