We all know about the benefits of exercising – mostly that it’s good for us. But this isn’t always enough to get us motivated into actually doing it.
I’ve always wondered about the people who live to work out. Who are these people? But at the same time, I wish I had that passion for exercise. I’ve been working toward getting back to a healthy weight; however, I haven’t ramped up or even seriously started a workout routine. (Of course, I was going to start this week and ended up with sick kids at home all week. There’s always a reason, right?) But I know it’s time, and I hope you will join me!
My goal is not to go out and kill myself, but rather to start integrating movement more into my life. I’m also planning on starting up yoga again. I find it’s such a wonderful outlet as well as a terrific way of centering myself.
If you’re looking for a little inspiration to get started on your new year’s resolution then here are 10 reasons why exercise can improve your life.
1. More Energy: Although exercise in itself may be tiring, one of the major benefits of exercising is the fact that it’ll ultimately leave you feeling more energized. Studies have shown that regular exercise helps to reduce fatigue.
2. Increase Your Mood: Every time you exercise your body will release endorphins that help to make you feel good. Exercise really will give you a natural high!
3. Improve Your Health: There are so many health benefits of losing weight that it’s impossible to list them all here! By getting fit you’ll reduce the risk of diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease and much more.
4. Improve Your Appearance: If being overweight or not being toned leaves you feeling unhappy about yourself then losing weight can help you to look and feel better.
5. Play With Your Kids: It takes a lot of energy to keep up with your kids. By losing weight and getting fit, you’ll be able to run around with them without constantly getting out of breath. This can be one of the most rewarding benefits of exercising: it helps you to enjoy life more.
6. Sleep Better: When you exercise more you’ll start to find it easier to get a good night’s rest. This adds to the energy boost that you’ll get from exercise in the long term.
7. Increase Your Strength and Stamina: Do you find it hard to go on long walks, even though you want to? Or maybe even carrying shopping bags up the stairs is a struggle? Exercise more and you’ll eventually be able to handle these activities with ease.
8. Reduce Stress: Exercise can hugely reduce stress levels. If you regularly suffer from stress – or even mental heath issues such as depression and anxiety – regular exercise can help to reduce your symptoms.
9. A Sense Of Achievement: When you start to exercise and see the improvements you’re making week on week, you’ll really get the feeling that you’ve achieved something worthwhile!
10. Keep Your Independence Later In Life: The more you can exercise now, while you’re still able, the more you can reduce the impact of certain health problems later in life. In short, keeping fit and healthy will help you to keep your independence as late into life as possible.
So how much will you need to work out to feel these benefits of exercising? That all depends on your current fitness levels. The good news is that just 30 minutes of exercise a day is enough to improve your health drastically. So what are you waiting for?!
This article is a series of health-focused posts as I work my way back to living healthy. Join me in my quest.
Did you miss these other health-focused posts?
- A Checklist for Setting SMART New Year’s Resolutions
- No Wedding Ring for Me Cause I’m Fat
- Find the Motivation to Lose Weight and Get Healthy
- Are These Excuses Preventing You From Losing Weight?
- 6 Ways to Reduce Food Cravings
- 4 Tips to Help You Avoid the “Inevitable” Holiday Weight Gain
- Victory! I Didn’t Gain an Ounce During Holiday Break and Vacation with 6 Tricks