If you ask me, every child should be familiar with Margaret Wise Brown books.
Not sure who Margaret Wise Brown is? Does Goodnight Moon sound familiar? But that’s not all she’s written.
In fact, folks recently created a new illustrated poetry book using her writing… decades later and she’s still just as fresh today.
In addition to recommending books about empathy for kids, I’ve teamed up with some fellow bloggers to offer you homeschool and classroom resources to teach kids about Margaret Wise Brown! You can find Margaret Wise Brown’s books at your local library or purchase through the affiliate links provided for your convenience.
Margaret Wise Brown Books and Activities
Margaret Wise Brown wrote a number of great children’s books, but here are our personal favorites. I can say that we wore out each and every favorite — owning multiples over the years 🙂
We even went through multiple of these books because we read them so much we wore them out! I had this book memorized we read it so much.
One of the most beloved books of all time, Goodnight Moon is a must for every bookshelf and a time-honored gift for baby showers and other special events.
Margaret Wise Brown’s simple, rhythmic text about the cycle of a day on a farm, where a family of animals peacefully plays and sleeps, has charmed generations of children. This board book edition features sturdy pages and is just the right size for toddlers.
As in her classic Goodnight Moon, Brown engages children and helps settle them down for sleep as they follow along with the animals from morning to night in the barnyard.
I like stars. Blue stars. Far stars. Shooting stars. I like stars! This was yet another book that we read over and over and over again. It was incredibly soothing and my boys couldn’t get enough.
The Runaway Bunny, first published in 1942 and never out of print, has indeed become a classic. Generations of readers have fallen in love with the gentle magic of its reassuring words and loving pictures.
A little bunny keeps running away from his mother in this imaginary game of hide-and-seek. Children will be profoundly comforted by this lovingly steadfast mother who finds her child every time.
A previously unpublished collection of charming lullabies, gorgeously illustrated by 12 award-winning artists! An accompanying CD, with lilting songs beautifully composed and sung by Emily Gary and Tom Proutt, makes this the perfect gift to wish children a sweet goodnight.
Other wonderful Margaret Wise Brown books include:
- Good Day, Good Night
- The Golden Egg Book (Little Golden Board Books)
- Home for a Bunny (Little Golden Book)
- I Like Bugs (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
- My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon
- Little Fur Family Board Book
- The Color Kittens (A Little Golden Book)
- The Little Island (Dell Picture Yearling)
- Mister Dog: The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (A Little Golden Book)
- Bunny’s Noisy Book
- The Sailor Dog (A Little Golden Book)
- Margaret Wise Brown’s The Whispering Rabbit (Little Golden Book)
- Seven Little Postmen (A Little Golden Book)
Margaret Wise Brown Activities
- I-Spy Bunnies
- Farm Theme Preschool Classroom Lesson Plans
- Farm Animals Fact Files
- Farm Animals Learning Kit
- On the Farm Pre-Writing Packet for Ages 3-5
- Farm Literacy for Preschool
- Farm Math for Preschool
- Farm Animals Yoga Cards
- Farm Theme Home Preschool Lesson Plan