Does it feel like pulling teeth to get your kids to talk to you at dinner? Do you barely get a response when you ask how their day was? I’ve come across an awesome program that gives you some amazing dinner conversation starters to get some lively talks going… the kind that don’t end just because dinner does.
Personally, our dinner conversation was getting pretty stale. My boys were throwing one-sentence responses and that was about it. I couldn’t get them to tell me anything about their day. So when Aha-Parenting mentioned there was a beta program being offered by ParentsTogether as a way to mix up our talks and give us interesting dinner conversation starters, I was intrigued.
Q4KIDZ is a beta program that texts you an intriguing question every day. My kids have been enjoying this program so much that they even ask what the question is before we even have a chance to sit down at the table. Now that’s a hit in my books.
20 Dinner Conversation Starters for Your Family
We’ve had some pretty awesome conversations. Some unbelievably silly and hysterical. Others insightful and serious. But all have been wonderful.
Perfect Dinner Conversation Starters
Here are my 20 favorite questions (reprinted with permission). Start with these questions as the perfect dinner conversation starters. Then sign up for Q4KIDZ below to get ongoing dinner conversation starters.
- Your spaceship lands on a new planet. What are three things you’d tell the aliens about the planet you come from?
- If our family invented a holiday, what would it be called and how would we celebrate it?
- If you could walk into any book or story, which would it be and what would you do?
- If you could get a thousand people to do one thing with you, what would it be?
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done and why?
- What’s your favorite thing to do for someone else that you know they like?
- Imagine you live in a herd of animals. What’s a day in your life like?
- What’s your most prized possession and why?
- How would the world be different if cats and dogs could fly?
- Can you come up with a new version of rock-paper-scissors?
- If you could make up three new rules for our family, what would they be?
- If your friend gets a haircut that you think looks terrible and asks for your honest opinion, what should you say?
- Imagine you could replace any part of your body with part of an animal. Which would you choose? Why?
- What’s something you wish you were really good at?
- If you could invest any machine, what would it do and what would you use it for?
- Would you rather have limbs that can stretch to infinity or be able to read minds? what would you do with your ability?
- What’s your favorite thing about each member of our family?
- If you could change one law, which would it be and how would you change it?
- If you had to spend a summer living with a family from a book or movie, which family would you choose to live with and why?
- 200 years ago, many people thought slavery was okay. What’s something most of us think is okay today that people 200 years from now will think is wrong?
Get Ongoing Dinner Conversation Starters
Don’t you just love these questions? They can completely change how your family connects and change the table talk. You can easily get daily dinner conversations withQ4KIDS. It’s easy to sign up. Just visit the Q4KIDZ website. Tell them Jenny sent you!
Q4KIDZ is a project of ParentsTogether, a new national parents association dedicated to helping all families thrive.
And if you have teenagers, consider the following If books series, which my husband and I just love (affiliate):