With summer, I am resolved to start making smarter choices for my health. This means not giving up on the food that I love but finding ways to make them with less calories. And so my first undertaking is making this splendid chocolate peanut butter banana pita pocket recipe with less calories. I don’t have to give up on taste!
Getting Inspired to Live Healthier
My other resolve is so also get serious about adding in more physical activity into my day. As a busy mom, I find that even giving up a half an hour means I working that much later into the night. Not what I want, right?
Instead, I decided to reach out to friends to see how we could be healthier together. We decided that actually walking to school would be a terrific way to bond and burn some calories!
It then proceeded to rain for weeks. Yes, I am in the Midwest, and it just didn’t want to let up. But on the last day of school….. sun! We all met at the school playground and walked home together — kids and moms. And of course, we all ended up carrying the kids backpacks. By the time we got to my house, I was ready to drop that extra weight at the door!
Chocolate Peanut butter banana pita pocket recipe
This tasty peanut butter and chocolate snack swaps full sugar for SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, and they cook in just five minutes. These are a great summertime snack. And they are filling, so I even had them for lunch!
I’m replacing some of the high-calorie ingredients you might choose to make this filling snack with some lower-calorie options to help everyone make smarter choices. Here are the ingredients I’m using to make some healthier choices.
- 6 tablespoons reduced fat creamy-style peanut butter
- 3 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 tablespoons fat free plain yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped, roasted peanuts
- 4 teaspoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup raisins
- 4 small (4 inch) pita breads, halved
- 1 large banana, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
Are you ready for these delicious snacks? I loved mine! See the full recipe below.
- Grab a medium sized bowl. Mix peanut butter, cream cheese, SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, yogurt and cinnamon, together until well blended.
- Stir in the chopped peanuts, chocolate chips and raisins.
- Spread the peanut butter mixture inside the pita pockets.
- Add the banana into the pitas and brush the outside of the pockets with the melted margarine.
- Cook 2-3 minutes per side in a pre-heated large skillet or griddle on medium heat.