Searching for the best toys for 7 year olds? Look no further! We’ve curated a fantastic list of toys designed to captivate the imagination and foster development in your growing child. Age appropriate toys are a must!
From engaging educational games and creative building sets to outdoor adventures and stimulating brain teasers, our selection is tailored to meet the unique needs and interests of 7-year-olds.
This post contains affiliate links.
Whether you’re on the hunt for educational enrichment, active play, or imaginative toys, our guide is here to make choosing the perfect toy a breeze.
Let the joyous exploration begin with the best toys for 7-year-olds that promise hours of entertainment and developmental benefits!
A Guide to Child’s Development Toys at 7 Year Olds
Starting at the age of 7, there are some milestones that your child will be reaching.*
Knowledge and Learning Style
Your child may begin to enjoy sharing what he or she has learned with parents, siblings and just about anyone who is willing to listen with interest.
He or she may also begin to demonstrate a greater attention span and become a better problem solver.
Learning starts to peak – due to an increase in understanding – becoming more curious and having a desire to learn, not only in school but about the world around them.
At this stage, there is an increase in your child’s motor skills and desire to participate in physical games and activities, such as structured sports.
You may also notice that your child can run for a longer period of time with better form and kick or catch a ball with more accuracy. This is a great time to introduce your child to playing on a local sporting team.
Encourage outdoor play and less indoor gaming for overall good health.
You can help your child adjust in this area by exposing them to art, music, plays and even different forms of dancing.
As body awareness becomes more evident, so does your child’s focus and concentration, such as in reading or watching plays.
Some of the best toys to encourage creativity are drawing easels, sketch pads, dramatic play with dolls and puppets, and character dress-up, where your child can dress up as his or her favorite television or movie character.
There is no limit to creativity.
*Note: Children don’t all develop in the exact same way, at the exact same time. Development milestones should be looked at as guidelines – nothing more. Understand that child development, as so many other things, is not predictable.
Each child’s development has the potential to be influenced by his or her environment, DNA and life’s personal experiences. Just the way each child has his or her own personality, the process of development towards adulthood is unique.
Best Toys for 7 Year Olds
When choosing toys for your 7 year old, consider their developmental stage, interests and the educational value of the toys. Here are some suggestions covering a number of categories!
- LEGO Sets: Foster creativity and fine motor skills with different Lego sets, from classic bricks to themed sets based on their interests.
- Magna-Tiles or Magformers: Encourage spatial reasoning and creativity with magnetic building tiles.
- Board Games: Classics like Monopoly, Scrabble, or newer favorites like Ticket to Ride or Catan.
- Educational Kits: Science kits, art supplies, or coding kits to stimulate learning in various areas.
- Bikes and Scooters: Promote physical activity with age-appropriate bikes, scooters, or skateboards.
- Sports Equipment: Soccer balls, basketballs, or tennis rackets for active play.
- Chapter Books: Introduce age-appropriate chapter books based on their reading level and interests.
- Illustrated Encyclopedias: Encourage curiosity with books that cover a variety of topics and illustrated encyclopedias were always a hit with my kids.
Puzzles and Brain Teasers:
- Jigsaw Puzzles: Choose puzzles with increasing complexity to challenge their problem-solving skills.
- Brain Teasers and Logic Games: Engage their minds with age-appropriate brain teasers and challenges.
Art and Craft Supplies:
- Drawing and Painting Materials: High-quality colored pencils, markers, or paints for creative expression.
- Craft Kits: Explore DIY projects with craft kits for making jewelry, models, or other creations.
- Educational Tablets or Apps: Consider tablets with educational apps designed for their age group.
- Robotics Kits: Introduce basic coding and robotics concepts with age-appropriate kits.
- Action Figures: Based on their favorite characters from movies, TV shows or books.
- Dress-Up Costumes: Encourage imaginative play with costumes that reflect their interests.
- Basic Instruments: Consider introducing them to simple musical instruments like a ukulele, keyboard or a beginner’s guitar.
Ashthorpe 38-inch Beginner Acoustic Guitar Package (Blue), Basic Starter Kit w/Gig Bag, Strings, Strap, Tuner, Pitch Pipe, PicksNewlam Kalimba Thumb Piano 17 Keys, Portable Mbira Finger Piano Gifts for Kids and Adults BeginnersAlesis Melody 61 Key Keyboard Piano for Beginners with Speakers, Stand, Bench, Headphones, Microphone, Sheet Music Stand, 300 Sounds and Music LessonsDonner Concert Ukulele Beginner Mahogany 23 Inch Ukelele Starter Bundle Kit with Free Online Lesson Gig Bag Strap Nylon String Tuner Picks Cloth DUC-1 Professional Ukalalee Yukalalee Gift
- K’NEX or Tinkertoy Sets: Foster creativity and spatial skills with building sets that allow for more complex creations like K’nex (a personal favorite of my son) or Tinkertoys.
Always consider your child’s interests, developmental stage and any specific requests or hobbies they have when selecting toys. The best toys for 7 year olds provide a balance of entertainment, education and developmental benefits!