Today I’m talking about music that I hate to love. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. All opinions are my own.
I am an “older” mom. And as an older mom and woman, I’m supposed to not like certain things… including but not limited to go-cart racing, skinny jeans and Taylor Swift.
And then, Saturday Night Live comes out with the perfect skit to explain exactly why I can’t fight the love for Taylor Swift (and the Swiftamine cure for it).
A fake neurologist named Dr. David Doctor explains: “Medically speaking, Taylor Swift onset vertigo occurs when one of her songs forces your brain to fight your ears. Your frontal lobe says, ‘Oof, Taylor Swift… she’s always wearing like a 1950’s bathing suit.’ But your ears say, ‘Shut up. This is a perfect song.'”
It’s been a while since I saw something that really hit me to the bone. How could I like Taylor Swift? And are there thousands of moms out there just like me who secretly are belting out “Shake It Off” in the car?
5 reasons I should hate on Taylor Swift but can’t bring myself to:
1. She’s a pop princess — which goes against everything I am. And yet, I kind of want the tiara, too.
2. She’s tall and model thin. Jealous much?
3. Her hair is always perfect. Always. It just makes her that much more magical.
4. She wears old-style high-wasted clothing that makes her just hipster enough to be cool but not too much that I’m forced to roll my eyes.
5. Her songs get stuck in my brain… which just makes my day all the more happier and sunnier.
Shout Out To My Fellow Taylor-lovin’ Moms
So if you’re out there (and I know you are), don’t be ashamed of your Taylor-lovin’ ways. Crank up that stereo, and sing at the top of your lungs…. ’cause haters gonna hate but I just can’t help loving Taylor Swift.
SPEAK UP: DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE TAYLOR SWIFT SONG?